So you’re posting along, playing nice and minding your own business… then WHAM! A negative comment for all to see on your Facebook Page. Your heart sinks. You’re in no mood for any type of confrontation but you can’t leave this comment unanswered.
As a person who is manages social media accounts, I’ve had this happen. My range of emotions go from “I hate my job” to “What the heck happened?” to “How can I help this person?“. Not gonna lie… dealing with negative comments or reviews sucks. But when you really think of it, they are all opportunities.
You’re thinking “Maria, have another glass of wine!“, but hear me out first. If someone took the time to write you their honest opinion, they care about the subject. They have a problem that they want resolved and they are giving you the opportunity to correct it. Yes, it’s on Facebook where everyone can see the negative post but this is where you can turn it around, it’s your chance to show:
- You’re listening.
- You want to fix things.
- You care about the customer and your product.
- You’re courteous and respectful.
- Most followers will come to your defence or quietly make their own opinion about the negative reviewer, something along the lines of “They must be having a bad day”.
Having a negative comment that you allow to go unanswered is like saying, “We don’t have time for you”.
There are many ways to address negative comments and reviews. There is no one perfect recipe. Sometimes its just “Haters Gonna Hate” (blog post) and it makes things tricky. But it’s not the end of the world.
On Monday, May 30th I’m going to show you the best practices that are out there for protecting your reputation – because you are work so hard at maintaining it!
Social Media and Reputation Management
You’ll learn how to:
- Manage negative comments and reviews.
- Build positive brand sentiment.
- Take control of your brand reputation.
- Develop your personal Social Media Policy and Code of Conduct.